A man lost his right eye because of contact lens

A man lost his right eye because of contact lens

A U.K. man skilled “excruciating pain “and went blind in his right eye after showering in his contacts, which caused a parasite to burrow under the lens and into his eye, reviews stated.

Nick Humphreys, 29, of Shrewsbury, U.K., contracted a rare parasitic infection known as Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK) in his right cornea.

“If I would have known how harmful it was to wear contacts within the shower, I’d never have got them within the first place,” Humphreys stated.

“After getting the infection, I went from the gym every other day and playing soccer three times a week, to being housebound for six months and losing the desire to live. I got contacts as I didn’t like how I looked in glasses and it almost cost me my right eye.”

Over 18 months, Humphreys had two operations on his eye and is now ready for a corneal transplant, which has been booked for Aug. 15, the outlet reported. The procedure might restore his eyesight.

“I’ve lost 18 months of my life due to something as simple as showering with contacts in,” Humphreys mentioned. “If I get my sight back I will never wear contacts again. Instead, like Edgar Davids – the former Dutch professional footballer – I will wear some prescription goggles to do sport instead.”

Humphreys mentioned he was never warned about not showering in contact lenses, PA Real Life reported.

“On a standard morning I’d wake up, pop my lenses in and head to the gym before work, then I would jump within the shower before heading to the office,” he stated. “I assumed nothing of it at the time. I was never told not to put on contact lenses in the shower. There is no warning on the packaging.

Maryann Lucas

Written by 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *